brazilbean

Julio's Global South Travel 2005-2006. This e-space exists so that I can keep my friends and family informed. Also, it is for you to participate in my experiences by providing comments, ideas, and cheers.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

FINAL ENTRY for India: Thank You India

I spent 100 days in India. In one word the experience was "intense." India is everything the travel books say that it is. Except, when you are there, in the middle of it all your head just spins and your world is rocked and you think - WHY THE HELL DID I EVER BUY THAT TRAVEL BOOK? To be in India I think one has to be centered - be aware of one's likings and dislinkings, be ready to spring into action when challenges arise, and be self-aware enough to just give in because India is bigger, harder and less afraid than the single traveler. I was none of those things when I arrived. Ok, maybe I was able to face challenges creatively, but the challenges that a place like India brough were pretty unimaginable.

I am so glad I did it. India was this mythical place for me for many years and I have never really known why it pulled me so much. Was it the poverty, corruption and people that reminded me of Brazil? Was it the colors, the odors or the sounds that I wanted to be part of from watching movies and talking to friends? Today, I feel India is demystified for me. It is more than I ever imagined it could be. It is worst than I ever thought it could be. It is everything at about 100 miles per hour, flying by relentlessly, and it still pulls me in, in so many ways.

Before going I had never really figured out why I wanted to be there so badly. I often thought why am I really committing 3 of my 7.5 months of phase 1 of my world travel to this one country? I did not know the answer, but I knew it was what I needed to do.

I now know why I had to go there when I did, at this point in my life, at this time. It is because India is about the only place on earth that could rival the fire that I feel inside and push and pull me to get in touch with all that goes on inside of me. India is raw. India does not give you and opportunity to opt out. It asks, tells, screams, yells and demands of you - tirelessly. India kicks your ass. I am not talking about the Buddha, the yoga, the meditation or the other thousands of ways people go to find themselves in India. I am talking about getting my ass kicked - dirt, passion, kindness, bad translation, scams, black chilli peppers, stomach aches with the runs, awakening cuisines and a religiosity beyond words and the most amazing sunsets on earth. For me India existed to remind me that being alive is the best thing in life. It kick started the process that lay dorment for so long, the process of getting back in touch with my inner core. For that I thank her from the bottom of my heart.

Some things that I hope to always remember about India, in no order.

-The fish in the South and in West Bengal with amazing curry.
-The barfis, milk cakes and other outstanding sweets.
-The kindness of Sarita's family members - from Uncle Arun and Aunt Sipra to her amazing parents.
-My intense need to GET OUT of there about 10 days before departure.
-The heart of the families I met on the train, the buses and the streets of India's little towns and quiet villages.
-The hatred I built (from my core) for dishonest public transportation drivers.
-The time with Drewzie - sudoku, room service and aloooooo.
-The endless search for coffee with Tricia all over the Indian south.
-The sun of Goa against my skin and the water of ocean at 4am.
-The smog of the cities and the brown liquid from my hands every time I washed them.
-Chai, chai and more chai.
-The amazing folks in my trip to the Himalayas.
-Romina and Maria's amazing passion and the time they and Tricia and I had laughing in Goa.
-Feisty Polish girls.
-Mysore Pak and Samolina.
-Hot 6 minute showers.
-OSHO's "active" meditation.
-The dynamic four - Atimati, Sammy, Kushal and me.
-The train rides from sleeper to first class.

And so much more that are captured in the 2,400 photos I have from my 100 days, the 15 or so recordings I have of street noises and messages from those who came and went, and the blogs that you have read.

Again, thank you India and all of those who have shared in 100 unforgettable days of my life.

Julio

"Into the Woods to Find the Giant..."
www.brazilbean.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home