brazilbean

Julio's Global South Travel 2005-2006. This e-space exists so that I can keep my friends and family informed. Also, it is for you to participate in my experiences by providing comments, ideas, and cheers.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

SOUTH AMERICA: Entry 01 - Where, When and Why...JOIN ME!!!

OK, South America, here I am. In this entry I will simply let you know what I am doing, where I am going, and some info on how I prepared - tickets, etc. This way you can come join me!

The main thing for you to know is that Phase II is much more planned than Phase I. There are a couple of reasons for this. 1) Traveling in SA is costly contrary to popular belief, and airpasses require that you choose ALL of your dates before departure. 2) I had the live and let live experience I wanted in Phase I, and while I still have that today, I have somethings I want to get done. 3) I speak Portuguese and am learning Spanish so SA feels harder and at the same time a deeper experience.

And, in all places I am trying to meet with NGOs doing anti-human trafficking work so that I can continue to learn and continue to shed light to this issue. Trafficking in SA gets VERY LITTLE attention compared to Asia and Eastern Europe and I am hoping to participate in changing this fact.

OK!

Itinerary and Goals (BTW, goals can change in a split second)

QUITO, ECUADOR August 22 - September 30
-Spend time and build my friendship with Carlo, an outstanding guy from my graduate program in MA.
-Learn Spanish. I go to school 4 hours day for 4 weeks.
-Live a normal life as opposed to the busy bee I was in Asia. It has been great to spend time and build connections with Carlo´s great friends.

MACHU PICHU, PERU September 30 - October 13
-The most exciting part of this place is that MY DAD IS JOINING ME!!! I am so happy. MP has always been a dream of mine and to do it with my dad is going to be outstanding. We have signed up for a 4 day-3 night hiking tour.
-Other than MP I will spend a few days in Lima with Carlo´s friend Terry/Teeri/Teri and my dad and I are going to the Nazca Lines.

SANTIAGO, CHILE October 13 - November 11
-The main goal here is to spend time with the amazing Chilenas Tricia and I met in India. Romina and Pancha will be there and I just want to dance, laugh, talk and drink every damn Chilean wine I can get my hands on.
-I will also continue to practice my Spanish and do some Bikram yoga.

BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA November 11 - December 9
-Here I am going to visit Dario´s brother Christian. Dario is the husband of my best friend Ana from Brazil. I also hope to meet Salvador´s boyfriend and my friend Michael´s friends.
-I am going here so that I can get to know the world of Evita, the LA NYC and, well maybe buy a pair of shoes or two.
-I am also doing a side trip to Montivedeo, Uruguay and Paraguay from here.
-AND I am going to the Iguacu Falls, a place I have always wanted to go to.

EVERYWHERE, BRAZIL December 9 - February 26
-Ok, there is a lot to do here.
-See my family is South Brazil.
-See my best friend and her family in Rio and many great friends - Vania, Carmen, Dami, Angelo and others.
-Spend New Year´s in Rio, the best in the world
-Go to the Samba Schools´ show at Carnaval in Rio.

-Travel to Salvador and Recife in North Brazil and go to some of the best beaches in the world.
-Do a 4 day-3 night Amazon trip.

AND, AND, AND
-THIS IS WHERE DREW WILL COME VISIT ME!!!! YES, HE IS COMING TO BRAZIL! THE IDEA IS THAT HE IS COMING FOR NEW YEAR´S. I am so excited to show mi tierra, minha terra to my outstanding boyfriend.
-AND, this is where my friends Vicki, Anthony, Sarita and Eddie are also threatening to come join me or Drew and me.

PREPARATION:
The best source of information for Latin American travel is my best friend Ana who is AMAZINGLY SMART and, well, a travel agent! She has helped me with every bit of this. Ana is to me in Phase II what Mindy was in Phase I - confidant, decision maker when I am waffling, researcher and well, someone who tells me to stop with the insanity and just go.

IF YOU ARE DOING TRAVEL TO SA, and ESPECIALLY BRASIL let me know I will send you her email and info.

MONEY: I spent about $3000 in tickets. Yes, it hurt, but I am going everywhere and not spending another dime. The budget for this phase is $10K.

THAT´s it. Ask me more if you want to know more.

That´s it folks. Off to yoga class now. This weekend´s plans include mountain biking down one of the tallest volcanos in the world, horse riding, and dancing.

Besos to all, and remember. I am not doing this because I am rich, nor because I have some Genie in a bottle. I am doing this because I chose to. I spent 8K in 7 months in Asia. That is less money than I would have spent had I stayed home in a job. Just a thought.

Besos y mucho, mucho amor.

Hulio, yes after all my efforts, HULIO

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." V.

www.brazilbean.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home