brazilbean

Julio's Global South Travel 2005-2006. This e-space exists so that I can keep my friends and family informed. Also, it is for you to participate in my experiences by providing comments, ideas, and cheers.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

1.1 Billion People, and Counting

In Mysore, Karnataka State, at an internet place with Tricia. We just went to an amazing ALL YOU CAN EAT Thaly place. I had 6 servings, Tricia had 4 (yes, Tricia had 4) and we could not get up. It was fabulous. We ate on banana leaves, a staple in the South, and Tricia got to try eating with her hands. It was fabulous, and she will write more about it.

For now, I wanted to say a few words about 1.1 billion people. I am especially inspired because today I was body slammed (not intentionally), I got hit by a bike, and I walked into a rickshaw, all in a 4 minutes span. I am fine, laughing a lot with Tricia, and fine. Oh yes, and Tricia was nearly assassinated by a vegetable cart.

India has over 3.5 times the number of people the US has. There are people everywhere. In the bathroom there is always someone, in the bus the seats are almost always filled and some people stand, the trains are crazy with people everywhere, the internet cafes, the restaurants and especially the streets are crazy. The idea of a moment alone is foreign concept. If you don't like people, don't come to India is the main message. I am not judging the people in India. Most of the Indians I have met are wonderful, except for rickshaw drivers, but it's that there are so many people. So, with so many people I would like to give you some Indian moments that span the globe of experiences...

-I asked a man if he could tell me where I could get a pair of pants. He told, "follow-me, my shop!" I thought great. I entered his shop and saw thousands of shirts. I asked about the pants, and he said, "sir just take a look at some shirts." I rolled my eyes and walked out.

-You have heard, and I will tell you again. Every time foreigners get off a bus we have a welcoming committee. Two days ago there were about 18 guys standing outside the bus door as we walked out. All yelling, RICKSHAW, HOTEL, RICKSHAW, POSTCARDS. The number of people means that you have to take the experiences you have had as a tourist every where else and multiply it by 100.

-I often try to find a spot in a restaurant to sit quietly. I order my coffee/chai and sort of hide by looking into my book, or turning on my IPOD. The other day Tricia and I went for coffee with this same idea. The restaurant was EMPTY. We were so happy. They waiter asked us what we wanted, served our coffee, and then pulled up a chair and sat with us. He did not say anything, he just sat there, put on my sunglasses and waived at the people that passed by.

-I often ask a travel agent to look up at train ticket for me. He tells me the trains that are available. I then ask about a different route, and he often says my suggested route does not exist. He then tells me about buses. Then, I change my dates and he goes into the computer and offers me ticket in the route that moments earlier did not exist. I look at him and ask, always, "would it have been so hard to tell me truth a moment ago so that we did not have to do this twice?" He looks at me as if I am the crazy one.

-Train stations are amazing. Imagine a section about a quarter a football field. This is the size of some of the areas outside of train stations. When I take middle of the night trains, I walk over literally 1,000-1,500 people sleeping on the ground. At 4am, 6pm, 11pm, 2am, there are people at the train station, trains are coming and going and there is someone yelling CCCCCCHHHHHAAAAAAAAIIIIIIII

These are just a few moments of India and its people. The sheer number makes for both a variety of experiences and then the same experiences multiplied by 100.

Ok, I am fading here. It is going to be 10pm and I have a few pounds of food in my stomach. I need to sleep.

Oh yes, one more thing. We had a great day today. We visited one of the men who was in my Himalayas tour and whose daughter works for Human Rights Watch India. We did not see her, but will see her the day after tomorrow. Tomorrow we will be picked up by another person from my tour who will take us to their home for breakfast and who will give us a tour of Mysore. We are really looking forward to it.

Lots of hugs,

Julio

"Into the Woods to Find the Giant..."
www.brazilbean.net

1 Comments:

  • At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are damn right about the 1.1 billion people and that is why my friend when one talks about progress, social justice, literacy, income equality for a nation that size, while sipping a starbucks coffee in a deserted, yet eerily generic and homogenous american cafe, half-way accross the world, it is comical! Humiliating and comical. Change for India is inevitable, progress unstoppable but most importantly home-grown. At the risk of sounding xenophobic, I will venture to say that the true agents of change for a nation the magnitude of India must come from within herself. And such agents are present - they are active, they are progressive and most importantly they are a product of her own culture and her own confusion. One must internalize the madness in order to first appreciate it and then transcend it...if you dont live it, how can you profess to love it? or even enliven it? Countries have formed and disbanded, cultures have gone from en vogue to en passe, social issues have found vociferous following and dissappeared with a lonely whimper - but a civilization, now called India, has persisted through it all! It has trudged through history and humanity; it has tugged at its seams with a billion people; with a 'million mutinies' and yet enriched us all and nourished human civilization as we know it...enjoy your journey through India! May it teach you to keep searching within yourself as it does a billion people each day! May it give you that which you seek to find and a lot more!
    And while you discover the tremendous joys and unending sorrows, the glorious magnificience and the debilitating humanity of our great nation, perhaps you too could find your own meaning in those ancient words of a wizened culture that continue to inspire me, and I share:

    Why are you crying that you have lost?
    What did you bring that you could loose?
    What did you create that you could waste?
    Whatever you took, you took it from here.
    Whatever you gave, you gave it here.
    Whatever is yours today will be someone else's tomorrow.
    Another day it will be somebody else's.
    You come with nothing and with nothing you shall leave.
    That is the rule of the World.

    - The Bhagvad Gita

    Cheers to the Indian in you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home