brazilbean

Julio's Global South Travel 2005-2006. This e-space exists so that I can keep my friends and family informed. Also, it is for you to participate in my experiences by providing comments, ideas, and cheers.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

LIVING and LEARNING

I HATE RICKSHAW DRIVERS!!!

So, I am a bit in a sour mood right now. Not because of the beautiful day that Tricia and I had in the back waters of Kerala. We spent the day going in and out of riverbanks in a house boat, then we changed to a five person canoe and went into even smaller riverettes (i am sure there is an official english name for these). The day was hot and the waters were beautiful.

Why am I annoyed? RICKSHAW drivers.

These guys are the bane of my existence here. In my nearly two months here they have only been honest once or twice. I have learned that they are also the bane of Indians' existence. This, unfortunately, does not make me feel better. Here in Kochi, as in many places, they have meeters, but claim these are broken when everyone gets into them. Lately Tricia and I have taken matters into our own hands by demanding the meter be turned on, or by turning the meter on ourselves. Still, it is annoying. More recently, tonight, we tried another strategy after we asked a guy to turn on the meter, he said no and we decided (out of spite and to hold to our values) to walk. The new strategy is. get in the rickshaw, let them take us where we want to go, and pay them what we believe it must be. This, as you might guess, is not popular with them, but it works. I just get really annoyed and just want to punch somebody, just sock them silly. I can give many people a lesson about the evils of the world and how the economy should provide good jobs, and blah, blah, blah, but cheatting is not right. It is not right to do it to foreigners or Indians.

I HATE RICKSHAW DRIVERS!!!

These experiences, and many others, are teaching me what I like and don't like about traveling. I don't like to move around too much. I like to get somewhere and stay there. I like to get to know a place, say hello to the chai guy because he has seen me for many days. I like to have tried several restaurants and go to my favorite one many times. I like to sleep on the same bed (clean or not) for more than two nights. I like to walk without using my map. I like to know where the best place to watch the sunset is, and I like to get up when I feel like it (which has meant 8am). I like to leave a place when it feels like I want a new experience. I like small towns. I don't like big cities, unless the big cities have good transportation (meter!). I also like to know at least one person in the big city. I love food, of all types. I love, love to try different foods. I now eat spicy food - green chilly peppers, black ones and sometimes I venture into red. I love coffee more than chai and I am an addict. MY NAME IS JULIO DANTAS and I AM A PROUD CAFFEINE ADDICT. I like people who like to exchange ideas and laugh, regardless of how much they speak any of the languages I speak. I like people who feed me endlessly. I like mineral water. I have a quiet side and it is only clear when I have not quiet available to me in my life. I like a moment alone between me and my coffee. I don't like to be bothered when that is happening. Chai time is also golden. This "quiet" time is at 3-3:30pm. All other times I am happy to carry on with someone about my and their lives.

I have also been a bit too logistical lately. Ok, not too logistical - necessarily logistical. With Tricia here for a short time, Drew's eminent arrival, and my departure to Vietnam I have been checking email every day for arrivals, calling hotels, making sure tours are in place, etc. Tricia is a great travel partner, and Drew is basically taking care of himself, and Vicky has done much of the work for Vietnam, but it is still details and details that I wish G-d would take care of for me. Alas, being a mortal is so hard. Especially a middle class mortal living in a developed nation. Snif, snif, for me.

Ok, abrupt closure, but I must depart to look at logistical emails.

Hugs to All,
Julio

"Into the Woods to Find the Giant..."
www.brazilbean.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home