brazilbean

Julio's Global South Travel 2005-2006. This e-space exists so that I can keep my friends and family informed. Also, it is for you to participate in my experiences by providing comments, ideas, and cheers.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

QUITO: A Final Entry, Really

Special Note: I am actually in Peru with my father right now. We hiked the Inca Trail to Machu Pichu and are off to Lima for three days. I will write about this in the upcoming week.

I am not exactly sure what to say about Quito in the end of it all. To put it simply, I fell for it. After 1 year and a month on the road I have actually been to a city that I thought, "I could live here." It is odd. It is so San Francisco in so many ways. Its history, its earthquakes, its fog, its mountains and its quaintness (sp) really spoke to me. I saw this happening as the weeks went by and I learned the bus systems, the map of the city, and got a feel, a taste for the way things work. But, between deciding not to travel anywhere else in Ecuador, changing my ticket to stay longer, and missing it so much from Peru I know that it struck a cord that is really sweet inside of me. It was a magical place in which to learn Spanish, to live in for 6 weeks, and as many of you have read, the people I met were outstanding.

In the last couple of weeks I got a proper tour of Old Town from Carla whose knowledge and passion for Quito are invigorating. She also took me to dinner and the theater at Teatro Sucre, Quito´s exquisite performance space. I also ate out a lot with friends and cooked a little more. But, just moving around in the city, getting my haircut, my nails done, and talking to NGO made me happy.

Salome made my heart open up to Quito. Her yoga classes, along with Caridad, helped me relax into my experience, be present every step of the way, and offered an endlessly loving place. Yes, she kicked my ass in class and while others did the "easier" yoga, she demanded that I do more. But, with every push came and adjustment, a touch of care and knowledge of the practice. She has magical hands. This, plus the outings for dancing made life richer for me.

Dani made sure I got my daily dosage of caffeine and helped me practice my Spanish. She helped me become TOTALLY OBSESSED with SMS-text messaging, and it was outstanding to meet someone with an independent political perspective and a - do something - attitude.

Camilo´s hunger made me happy. I have cooked for many, and love it when people like my food. But, I have never been as certain as I was with Camilo when I cooked. He was honestly heartbroken when he heard I made something he did not eat, and his Gracias and adjectives after eating a meal I made were memorable. And, I also love that yes, he liked my food, but that, like me, he is a food whore...so in the end, I was good, but really, I could have been anyone else as long as I was cooking. LOLOL!

Andres, Roberto, Oliver and Tita (the cat) continued to make everything seem simple, and made me feel like I had been in their lives for years. Their home and their love for each other was and endless welcoming space.

As you know, my teachers continued to teach me even after I was done with school. Their commitment to their craft and their care for me came simply, without too many questions and no ifs and buts. This kind of care is rare.

And, of course, Carlo was really the glue of Quito for me. His own love for his city, openess to having me around, and friendship made me feel that everyday I was in a place where I was taken care of, loved and had amigos all around.

So, that´s Quito. There were many other people that made it outstanding Sadig, Max, Gustavo, Olga, and others. Thank you all. From the bottom of my heart.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." V.

www.brazilbean.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home